Choosing a wine should be simple even for beginners with these five easy tips.
- Avoid cradling the bowl of your glass which could warm the wine and change its flavor. Lift your glass by the stem.
- Examine the color of your wine and check to be sure it's clear, not cloudy.
- Swirl the wine to examine its "tears". Hold the stem and rotate your wrist so the wine climbs close to the rim. The more pronounced the tears, the more alcohol in the wine.
- Sniffing the wine's aroma is important as inhaling the scent of herbs and spices in a favorite dish. Try to identify traits of your wine's perfume or bouquet.
- Take a sip and hold it. Count to 10 as you roll the wine across your tongue and swish it against your inner cheeks. Then swallow and exhale slowly through your nose and mouth to savor the wines's taste.